Certified Organic: One Module Educator’s Mushroom Kit Lesson Plans – Everything you need to bring fungi into your classroom. NSES based lesson plan complete with classroom, laboratory and extension activities for all grade levels. Mushroom Lifecycle & Anatomy worksheets Our Mushroom Modules make growing mushrooms easy, educational, and fun! Great Biology Science Project!
NSES based lesson plans:
Offered for all grade levels, our professionally authored National Science Education Standards (NSES) based lesson plans give you everything you need to get started teaching your students about the amazing world of fungi. Lesson Plans (copies for teacher & 24 students) have been aligned with the national content standards eliminating guesswork and streamlining your preparation time. Both lesson plans (Basic and Advanced) include a full chapter’s worth of textbook-style background information as well as concepts, science themes, laboratory and extension activities. In addition, the Educator’s Mushroom Growth Kit™ lesson plans have been reviewed and endorsed by the California Department of Education as an approved NSES based teaching resource.
Basic Lesson Plan:
- Observe mycelial (vegetative) growth and mushroom (reproductive) growth.
- Learn to identify the basic parts of a mushroom and learn how fungi reproduce using a life cycle diagram.
- Harvest a fresh mushroom, take a spore print on paper and compare them with one another.
- Demonstrate natural nutrient recycling and how plants, and fungi work together in nature.
Advanced Lesson Plan:
- Observational experiments and activities.
- Be introduced to the fungal kingdom.
- Understand the many roles fungi play in our environment.
- Learn how fungi reproduce through study of a lifecycle diagram, and identify the basic parts of a fungus/mushroom.
- Learn basic features and examples of the four major fungal phyla (Chytridiomycota, Zygomycota, Basidiomycota, and Ascomycota).
- Observe fungal mycelium and all stages of mushroom growth.
- Collect mushroom spores to visualize the reproductive units of mushrooms.
- Investigate the effects of gravity (gravitropism) on mushroom growth, adaptive responses and the implications for fungal reproduction. An optional lab report with results and analysis can be assigned.
- Understand and observe how fungi transform organic wastes (in this case sawdust) into a nutritious soil that can support plant growth.