Mushroom carbonara is one of my all-time favorite pasta dishes. The combination of creamy sauce, savory mushrooms, and perfectly cooked pasta is simply irresistible. It’s a classic Italian dish that never fails to satisfy my cravings for a hearty and comforting meal.
- 1 pound pasta (spaghetti or fettuccine works best)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 pound pancetta or bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, or a mix), sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and grated Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the diced pancetta or bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until they are browned and tender. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss to combine with the mushrooms and garlic.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and quickly stir in the egg and cheese mixture, tossing the pasta constantly to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Stir in the cooked pancetta or bacon and add the heavy cream. If the sauce seems too thick, add some of the reserved pasta cooking water to loosen it up.
- Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
This mushroom carbonara recipe is a perfect blend of flavors and textures. The earthy taste of the mushrooms pairs beautifully with the richness of the egg and cheese sauce. The addition of cream provides extra lusciousness, making every bite a delight.
My Personal Touch
I like to use a mix of mushrooms for added depth of flavor. The earthiness of shiitake mushrooms complements the mildness of cremini mushrooms, creating a more complex and satisfying dish.
Why I Love It
What I adore about mushroom carbonara is its ability to elevate simple ingredients into a luxurious and indulgent meal. The creamy sauce coats each strand of pasta, and every bite is a harmonious blend of umami and comfort. It’s a dish that never fails to impress, whether I’m cooking for myself or entertaining guests.
Mushroom carbonara is a timeless classic that holds a special place in my heart and on my dinner table. If you’re a fan of mushrooms and crave a decadent pasta dish, this recipe is a must-try. It’s simple, elegant, and sure to become a favorite in your repertoire of go-to meals.