Shepherd’s pie with cream of mushroom soup is a comforting and hearty dish that never fails to satisfy. As someone who is passionate about mushroom growing, I always look for creative ways to incorporate mushrooms into my cooking. This recipe holds a special place in my heart as it perfectly combines the earthy flavors of mushrooms with the warmth of shepherd’s pie.
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet, brown the ground meat with the diced onion and garlic. Add the carrots and peas, and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a baking dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Dot the mashed potatoes with butter and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
This dish is the epitome of comfort food. The creamy mushroom soup adds a rich and savory element to the meat and vegetable filling, while the mashed potatoes on top create a satisfying and indulgent layer. Every bite is a harmony of flavors and textures, making it perfect for a cozy family dinner or a gathering with friends.
I love to experiment with different types of mushrooms when making this dish. Adding a mix of wild and cultivated mushrooms brings depth and complexity to the flavor profile. It’s incredible how the earthy notes of mushrooms can elevate the overall taste of the shepherd’s pie. I highly recommend trying different mushroom varieties to find your favorite combination.
Shepherd’s pie with cream of mushroom soup is a timeless classic that never disappoints. The marriage of savory meat, vegetables, and creamy mushroom sauce, all topped with a golden layer of mashed potatoes, creates a meal that is both comforting and deeply satisfying. Whether for a special occasion or a simple weeknight dinner, this dish is sure to become a beloved favorite in your recipe repertoire.